Many schools have identified a role for sports coaching through this additional funding. Coaches can perform a valuable role in supporting and up-skilling teachers to improve the delivery of physical education in primary schools as well as providing breakfast, lunchtime and after school clubs.
Check out our coaching page for more links and resources to support and improve your coaching.
Check out our workshops and courses #confidentcapableinspirationalpeople
National Partner Statement on Coaches in Schools on 13th April 2015
We believe that in curriculum time, teachers should not be replaced or displaced by coaches, but rather support their work and ensure provision is enhanced. Coaches can make a valuable contribution to PE and school sport by using their skills to improve the technical knowledge and confidence of teaching staff, as well as delivering additional breakfast, lunchtime and after school provision.
Many schools have identified a role for sports coaching in their PE and school sport offering, and all National Partners believe it is essential for coaches to:
• be employed by a school when a need has been identified by their PE and school sport review.
• have the recognised minimum qualification, insurance and safeguarding standards to be employed to work in school sport.
• not be used to displace teachers during curriculum time.
• have a sound understanding of what safe practice in PE and sport looks like.
Coaching in Primary School Portal
The Coaching in Primary Schools Portal is a free to access resource that has been developed by UK Coaching with the support of the Department for Education, Sport England, Association for PE, Youth Sport Trust, Compass and the Active Partnerships. This guidance covers:
• Why should I use a coach in my school?
• How can my school work with coaches most effectively?
• What qualifications and skills should I look for in a good coach?
• How can Think Active (The Active Partnership for Coventry, Solihull & Warwickshire) or other organisations help to identify a coach?
• How can I create a suitable job advert and where do I advertise?
• What steps do I need to take to recruit the right coach?
• How do I ensure coaches become part of the school community?
• What training is available to support coaches?
• What resources are available to help my coaches or teachers?
• Where can I find information on special educational needs and disabled (SEND) children in PE and school sport?
• What other support is there for me?
• How can I retain my coaches?
• How do I evaluate the quality and the impact of my coach?